Saturday 4 January 2014

5 years ago

Today, five years ago, P, our eldest son, and I woke up in a hotel room in a new city that we now call home. P had accepted a job up here and on another sweltering hot day we were discovering a new place and finding a new home.

I hadn't told my boss that I was moving as P had been offered the job on Christmas eve and my work was closed for a couple more days. Over breakfast that morning while reading a major newspaper, there was an article in there that referenced P's new job. What a way for her to find out, we had laughed! My boss and I would later joke about this as it was the one morning she hadn't read the paper.

In the five years since, we forged the next chapter in our lives together. New city, new homes, new jobs, new friends, renovations, two more children, an overseas holiday.

And now on our fifth anniversary in this city, we are each forging our own new chapter in our lives, our lives which will always be woven together, but now becoming more separate.

He has a new home, new furnishings and most likely a new partner with children on the very near horizon.

And I am piecing together a new chapter in a life that looks very familiar in the same home, but feels very different. I find myself with some new friends and some wobbly new confidence in this new journey.

And I think that deserves another toast. But I've already had two coffees, and at 9.30 in the morning, it's a little early for a glass of wine, so I'll reach for the chocolate instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment